Sunday, June 14, 2009

BALLYALBAN FAIRY FORT...

This had to have been nearly my favorite part of the trip!
Apparently, some of the Irish take their legends VERY seriously! This was posted outside the entrance to what is known as a Fairy Fort. There are many tree rings throughout Ireland, and it's said that fairies live in them! There's also a lot of superstition around tearing them down, and even walking through them improperly. We all had to walk around this one in a circle, because they say that if you walk in a square, you'll die! When others hear of someone having had a misfortune, they will quickly blame it on any lack of judgement the person may have had in the treatment of sacred lands.
I think the area even looks very mystical and imaginative!



I wished that we had more time at this stop! I would have loved to have walked through here barefoot! =) As it was, I was the last to get back on the bus! :P


This one reminds me of the Grandmother Tree in Pocahontas!

No comments:

Post a Comment