Sunday, June 28, 2009

MY LAST SATURDAY IN EDINBURGH...

I was supposed to go on a Seafari Adventure today, but the boat was having mechanical problems, so I headed back into town and just started to make my way down the list of things I wanted to do! Dynamic Earth was one of them! It wasn't quite as cool as I was hoping (for a grown-up), but I really enjoyed the polar ice area, where they had a giant chunk of fake iceburg in the middle of the room. I also enjoyed the dome show all about planets, stars and satellite telescopes! I thought it was hilarious that the acronym VLT seriously stood for VERY LARGE TELESCOPE! LOL
I would love to go to Chile and see this in person!
(Are you proud Dad? I think all the childhood trips to observatories rubbed off!)

After that, I enjoyed just wandering up the Royal Mile to get to Camera Obscura, which was the next item on my list. Since I was alone today as well, I was able to wiggle and weave my way up the street. I'd go into one store on one side, then sneak into an interesting looking "close," and then cross the street to another interesting little shop on the other side, and then peak again into another "close!" I found some pretty awesome sights that I would have completely missed otherwise!

This was the Dunbar Close. These areas are tucked away in the courtyards between buildings, and wouldn't be noticed by people on the street unless they decided to take a little peak down the creepy looking alley way first! (I'm just such a person!)


The next stop on my trip was the John Knox house...I'm too tired to explain now, but he was a historical figure in Edinburgh history. It was really cool to see some of the ancient things in the building, and to be in the building itself, which was over 400 years old, almost, I think!
(Like I said...I'm REALLY tired, but haven't been able to post for several days due to connection issues, so I'm trying to catch up now.)


I had to sign some very important documents while I was there!
(Of course, I'll take any opportunity to dress up!)


This was down another really cool, creepy looking alley. This building was built in the 1600s. I love the doorway two photos below that's just my size! :D



This house was called Gladstone's Land. It's another one of the oldest buildings in town, and used to house a shop on the bottom and resident's spaces above. Many of the units were furnished as they would have been back then.
(Sadly, there were no photos allowed)

Another beautiful alley way leading to a close that appears to have been turned into a restaurant at some time.


The next four pics were all from the same close! It's so amazing to be standing in an area built in the 1600s, and to imagine what life must have been like back then! Overwhelming, Crazy, Exciting!




These were some of the views from the top of Camera Obscura!


And I believe this is the "Hogwart's" school. I still haven't had a chance to try to get a close-up view of it!

This place was so much fun! Once again, I was sooooo glad I was alone today so I could feel free to take all the time I could have possibly wanted! :D I walked all the way to the fifth floor to see the "Camera Obscura" show, and then worked my way down. The show consisted of a city tour through the pinhole-style camera mounted at the top of the building, and then "piped" onto a concave table in the center of a dark room!
There were all sorts of great optical illusions! I REALLY enjoyed spending my afternoon here!




This was my favorite picture. The actual item wasn't terribly impressive, but the repeated reflection really appealed to me! I think I like it so much because it kind of reminds me of a sculpture that I'd like to build someday where each ball represents a different earthly element!

Wonderfully creepy looking! This ball had me mesmerized for quite some time! =)


And of course, I had to send a message to someone VERY special! :D

Speaking of...could this be my boyfriend's dream? LOL (blushing)





Sorry it's so dark, but I think if you click on the picture you might be able to see it better! They had a light-impressive wall with a push button, so that you could pose against the wall, with a delayed flash and see your shadow. I was trying to do the "proportions of the human figure" thing.

This looked soooo real! I had to touch it to confirm that it seriously wasn't candy sitting on the table! (I love that kind too!) :(
I can't wait to recreate this one at home! :)


The real candy was in the bottom of an enclosed tube!

My Thermo-image!


I absolutely love this one! So much, that I think I would like to get the print someday, or at least make my own! I'm especially eager to experiment with the process behind it...pinhole camera...similar to the process behind the "camera obscura" show at the beginning.


This is me in anime! This machine was similar to those morph machines in arcades.




I met up with some friends later for a ghost tour! EEEEK!


No comments:

Post a Comment