Friday, June 12, 2009

DERRY (AKA LONDONDERRY)

We stopped in Derry on the way home to Dublin via Belfast. It's a town that has experienced a ton of difficulty during wars, and even has had some issues in the most recent years. I would love to sound really smart and tell you more, but I got up really early this morning to do a 3-day tour in one, and I'm heading the other direction tomorrow to do the same thing. So, please enjoy the pics, and I'll be happy to explain more if you're interested later! :) (Notice I'm too tired to even format or center the font to make it look pretty!)

This amazing fortress wall goes all they way around the center of the city, so our guide led us along there, only I lost them because I was too busy taking pics! :D (No worries...we knew what time we were supposed to meet back on the bus, and Derry is Very small!)








These watchtowers along the walk were really cool! (I know they have a very serious side, but I'll omit that for now!)








I thought this cemetery was so cool! The tombstones are comically off kilter...has the ground been sinking over the last 200+ years?












I nearly missed this cute little alley way, but don't be fooled as I was...this was built in 1989 with reclaimed bricks. Made to look old...no wonder why I like it so much! :)

This was right around the corner though, and I would guess this has been here for 500 years, but I have NO idea!



On the coach again, leaving Derry, headed for Belfast, then finally home after a VERY long day! (My subjects are out of order compared to what they were on the tour.)

Pulling into Belfast, I saw this great abandoned church. Note the growing weeds on the TOP of the spire! I've seen several situations like this in Belfast! I really wanted to hang out for an hour or so to photograph some of them, but I really didn't have the time to spare. As it was, I arrived back in Dublin at 9:45p after having left on the bus to Belfast at 6am. UGHHH! (Not to mention the hour long roller-blade ride into town from 4:45a-5:45a, nearly missing my trip to begin with! YIKES!)

Sorry for the poor quality...this was through the bus windshield again. Notice the weeds at the top of the smokestacks and sides of the building...those are not intentional.





This reminded me of the London Eye! I would have loved to explore, but I really had to head back to Dublin!

No comments:

Post a Comment