Wednesday, June 24, 2009

URQUHART CASTLE, LOCH NESS AND INVERNESS

We decided to take the optional tour of Urquhart Castle and a boat ride up Loch Ness. After all, how many times can I say that I actually travelled by boat on Loch Ness, and what better place to catch a sighting of the famous Nessie herself?





It's so crazy to imagine the lives that once lived near these walls!





Seeing the castle fade away in the distance was truly remarkable! I was sad to see it go, but looked forward to what was ahead!



The water was so dark that the wake from the boat made it look like we were floating through root beer! YUM! Needless to say, I was craving one by the time we arrived at our destination!



There were so many beautiful, little villages surrounded by trees along Loch Ness.

And waterfalls...I've never seen so many in my life! And they look as if they're coming out of nowhere!



No sign of Nessie, but for those of us who didn't see the real girl, we can at least get a photo shot next to her statue! :D


We went up the road a bit further to Inverness, where our vastly experienced tour guide gave us a fantastic, bird's eye tour. LOL I'm surprised he stayed still while I asked him to wait for me to get out my camera! :)




This town was so small and beautiful. I really enjoyed our very brief stay here.



This is Inverness castle, we didn't have time to check it out, but I was reading that it now houses the Sheriff's court. It's been speculated that the castle in Macbeth was originally just east of where this castle is currently located. And while there was no evidence that Duncan I was murdered here, the townspeople say King Duncan's ghost can still be seen walking the banks of River Ness in full regalia!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen
    We hope you enjoyed your cruise with us. Sorry we couldn't show you the monster!
    Enjoy the rest of your travels.
    Lindsay
    http://www.jacobite.co.uk

    ReplyDelete